Copyright © 2003 -2012 Roger Philpot All Rights Reserved
Images © 2012 Roger Philpot
Did You Know
1.The United States produces about 35%, or 1 billion tons, of the world's coal supply—more than any other country produces.
2. The average coal miner is 45 years old and has 20 years of experience.
3. Coal generates more than half of the electricity used in the United States.
4. Each person in the United States uses 3.8 tons of coal each year.
5. U.S. coal deposits contain more energy than that of all the world's oil reserves
6. The United States has more than a 250-year supply of coal, if it continues using coal at the same rate at which it uses coal today.
7. Using coal to generate electricity is less than a 1/3 of the cost of other fuels
8. America has more than 200 years of available coal reserves.
9. According to an electric power industry journal, 23 of the 25 power plants in the U.S. that have the lowest operating costs (and therefore provide power to their consumers at the lowest prices) are powered by coal.
10. The world’s largest producers and consumers of coal are China, Poland, Russia, India and the United States.
* Links outside of this web site
* There are an estimated 275 billion tons of recoverable coal reserves in the United States, or about one fourth of the world's total.
* The energy content of U.S. coal reserves is four times greater than the recoverable oil of Saudi Arabia and exceeds that of all the world's know recoverable oil reserves.
* U.S. coal production reached a record 1.133 billion tons in 2005, while consumption reached a record 1.128 billon tons. Electric generation accounted for 92 percent, or 1.309 billion tons, of all coal consumed in the United states.
*Source U.S. Energy information Administration.
When we surf the Internet, watch television, play a video game, charge a cell phone or turn on the air conditioner, we are using electricity.
Sometimes, we tend to forget about the role electricity has on our lives. As we live our busy lives, we don’t often stop to think about our need for cheap and reliable power.
Did you know that half of the electricity that heats our homes, lights our schools, and powers our businesses comes from coal?
kills almost 1,500 miners each year
An informative site
"From darkness they came into the world
To toil in darkness and to darkness will return"